Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sorry about the lack of posts...

Sorry about the lack of posts lately. It has been a messed up week.

My Bride's Grandmother passed away a week ago today. We made the trip up to Minnesota for the wake and funeral. It's not a good time of year to be heading to Minnesota if you hate snow and ice as much as I do.

Anyway, we left Sunday morning early, 5:00am and the roads weren't too bad. We didn't set any speed records getting up there but it was still under 8 hours. Sunday evening was the visitation. I think everyone in town came through the funeral parlor at least once. There were lots of good memories shared. She was a very popular and well liked Lady.

Monday was the funeral. My Bride was a pall bearer and my Youngest did one of the readings during the funeral.

All day Monday we were hearing from people at home about the storm headed in. We made the decision to leave late Monday evening to try and beat the weather. I drove all night and got us home just as the snow began. After unloading the car, I laid down for a while (about 5 hours) and woke up to this...

At this point, the snow was still coming down hard and continued through the day and most of the night. The wind was howling and drifting the snow up. I knew it was pretty useless to start trying to dig out.

Keep in mind that we have about 105 yards of driveway that is connected to a gravel road. Not a lot of people live on our road so we aren't a priority for the County snow plows.

Wednesday morning I got up early and dug the cars out and cleared the concrete pad. That took an hour or better. After a little break, I started on the driveway. Sixteen to eighteen inches of snow with drifts up to twenty four inches is pretty damn intimidating. I didn't get far before I had to take another breather.

After another couple hours of shoveling, the old guy across the road fires up his tractor. He plowed some of his drive and then got stuck in the road. My bride and I went down and shoveled him out. A while later he attempted to plow our drive. Not much luck with it. While there is a path from the house to the road, the snow is still eight to ten inches deep in most places. There is no way my Monte Carlo can make it out.

I tried to fire up the big ass ('89) Suburban. No luck, dead battery. I put the battery charger on it and still no luck. I think this morning I may pull the battery out of the other ('72) Suburban and see if that gets me anywhere. As of bedtime last night, the road still hadn't been plowed, so even if I can get out of my driveway, I still have seven miles of road to the highway.

I haven't been to work since last Friday, and I am really missing it. I'm lucky enough to enjoy what I do. I'm looking forward to getting back there tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to shoveling more snow today though. Damn, I hate this white shit...