Thursday, January 6, 2011

Republicans start 2nd day with a reading of the Constitution...

It's kind of strange to me that today was the first time the Constitution has ever been read on the floor of "The People's House". It would seem to me that it should be read at the start of each session just to remind these guys of what our government is supposed to be. I don't think that many lawmakers take the oath seriously when they are sworn in.
“I, name, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”
I take it very seriously and they should be held to the oath.

It was also shocking to me that there were objections to the reading of the Constitution, of course those came from democrats.
Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) claims "They are reading it like a sacred text" it's a "ritualistic reading," "total nonsense" and "propaganda. You are not supposed to worship your constitution. You are supposed to govern your government by it."

You would think to an elected representative, the Constitution would be like a sacred document. I know that as a United States Marine it was sacred to me. It was a document, an ideal, I was willing to die for. That is the difference between the Men and Women serving this Country in the Military and those in the government, some of us will sacrifice our lives and others will sacrifice a golf game (maybe)...